Monday, December 11, 2023

A STEM Project: Converting a Silhouette Studio File Into a 3D Print File In Tinkercad and Making a Slide Together Race Car

Converting a Silhouette Studio File Into a 3D Print File In Tinkercad and Making a Slide Together Race Car

Using my Silhouette software, I created a race car body and then added tabs to the sides so that the pieces could slide into one another to be 3D printed.  Each tab was 2 mm and then the slot that it slides into needs to be 2.5 mm for tolerance. I did this by using the Offset window. The Offset should be .25 mm with a corner offset and then apply the offset.  The result is the tolerance needed to slide into one another.  (In Preferences, I changed the unit of measurement  to millimeters. I found it easier to manipulate in millimeters to be consistent with the 3D printer unit of measurement.

I am only offering the SVG file of this model because Tinkercad requires an SVG file.

Here is the SVG. 

 Here are the three links in Tinkercad for the race car model. https://www.tinkercad.com/things/iQIfN7ftP6W-race-car-model-part-1-of-3

Race Car Part 1 of 3 and Race Car Part 2 of 3 are parts that were copied from my Silhouette file and then converted to a 3D print file. I found that it is easier to print a file with a lot of space between the parts so I broke up the file into two files. 

Race Car Part 3 of 3 are wheels for the race car which were designed by a Tinkercad user.  I also modified the hood of the race car to have a slant at the front edge of the hood. 

The model can be glued together if so desired.  I think it is more interesting to using Glue Dots so that the model can be taken apart later.

Slide the side pieces together onto the base platform. 

Attach the wheels to the axle and insert into the holes in the car. I used a glue dot on the axle to stop the wheels from moving.

Pull the sides apart slightly and slide the trunk pieces together one at a time. 

Add the spoiler.

Slide the front fender on and then slide the locking U piece into place.  Slide on the hood to complete the race car.


No comments:

Post a Comment