Sunday, May 3, 2020

30 Songs for the 15 Note Music Box

The 15 note music box with paper tape music is a musical instrument which produces a melody programmed on paper tape. The paper tape is fed across a comb. The comb is a like a multi-pronged tuning fork made out of steel with fifteen different lengths of teeth.  Each tooth represents a different note.  The longer the tooth, the lower the note or frequency because the tooth vibrates slower. The shorter the tooth, the higher the note or frequency because the tooth vibrates faster. These vibrations create the sound which create the melody. The holes in the paper tape correspond to different notes. When a hole is encountered in the paper tape, the corresponding note is played because there is a prong sticking up which engages the corresponding tooth on the comb.

Music boxes have been around since the 18th century. Key features of music are pitch (fundamental frequency and harmonics) and timbre (amplitude of harmonic frequencies and resonance of specific frequencies). Each tooth vibrates with a fundamental frequency and multiples of other frequencies (harmonics) which generate a spectrum for each note.  The wood and design of the music box cause it to resonate, or amplify, certain frequencies in this spectrum, which generates its unique musical sound.  While new technology on a computer can attempt to simulate this spectrum, music must be played on a physical instrument in order to generate the correct frequency spectrum.

I made 30 songs for the 15 note music box with the Silhouette.  I especially geared it to my grandchildren who enjoy listening to music. I am sure young and old alike would enjoy playing these tunes. This could be a unique gift to give for a birthday, anniversary or wedding.

15 Note Music Box Playing Beauty and the Beast

Here are the songs that I have included in my .Studio file for you to make with your Silhouette:

1. Under the Sea
2. Pop Goes the Weasel
3. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
4. Ode to Joy
5. Beethoven Symphony #6
6. Brahms Lullaby
7. Wheels on the Bus
8. Camptown Races
9. Itsy Bitsy Spider
10. You are my Sunshine
11. Happy Birthday
12. Its a Small World
13. Fly Me to the Moon
14. Super Mario Bros.
15.  Heart and Soul
16.  On Top of Old Smoky
17.  Phantom of the Opera
18.  Beauty and the Beast
19.  Pachabel's Canon in D
20.  Star Spangled Banner
21.  Frere Jacques
22.  Bach - Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring
23.  How Much is the Doggie in the Window
24.  Mozart Sonata No. 16 in C
25.  Oh Susanna
26.  Music Box Dancer
27.  London Bridge is Falling Down
28.  Bach - Minuet in G
29.  Puff the Magic Dragon
30.  Blue Danube

The 30 songs were created on the website https://musicboxmaniacs.com There are links on that website to purchase the 15 note hand crank music box on Amazon.  The wooden music box without any paper tape or hole punch is about $15. I chose the wooden box which included paper tape and a hole punch.  The paper tape and hole punch are not necessary to buy since the Silhouette will be cutting the paper.  I bought the paper tape and hole punch to calculate the size of the holes necessary and the width of the paper. The size of the hole is 0.1 in wide and the width of the paper is 1.616 in. Please note, when purchasing the music box, it must be the 15 note music box for the paper tapes that I have created to work.

The https://musicboxmaniacs.com website has a create feature where you can make your own paper tape music.  I explain how to make the paper tape using your Silhouette software in this blog entry.  https://papercraftetc.blogspot.com/2019/11/how-to-make-paper-tape-music-for-15.html

I used 110 lb. /300 gsm cardstock to make the paper tape music. I purchased the cardstock at Michaels.  The music box needs the thicker paper so that the gears can grab onto the paper.  I recommend using a blade depth of 5 and cutting in 2 passes. I do recommend a new blade and cutting mat.  If the holes are not cut accurately, the music will not play correctly or not at all. I discovered this problem with my automatic blade on my Cameo 3.  The holes were not perfectly round because of a dull/misaligned blade.

I used a Silhouette sketch pan to write the name of each song on the paper tape and an arrow to show the direction in which to feed the music.

Many of the songs in this file are multiple strips of paper that need to be taped together.  I used regular Scotch tape.  The holes that are covered in Scotch tape need to be cut.  I used the hole punch that I received with the purchase of my music box to cut the holes through the Scotch tape.

Here is the PDF.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1fFVvnQHGfJCSy9-3IVwD1cuC-WqZF2/view?usp=sharing


Here is the .Studio file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tu_huN6bdhUq2r4UZZji6i7KLn89XiRX/view?usp=sharing

If you would like to further your collection of paper tape music, I have made 25 songs for Christmas for the music box in this previous blog post. https://papercraftetc.blogspot.com/2019/10/25-songs-for-christmas-unique-advent.html


Here is a new song...Ultimo Piccola Stella for the Silhouette

15 comments:

  1. How wonderful this is. Thank you so much for the files and tutorial. I believe my niece is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so clever. Even though this is an old technology, it has timeless fun when you can make your own. And what a great idea for a gift. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the idea, the songs you organized for the silhouette and so graciously shared with us, and the great instructions on how to try on our own. This is some fantastic stuff. ~Laura R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just bought a do-it-yourself music box but I have problems creating the scores, I tried on the site you recommended but I can't create it! Could you help me with a song by Ultimo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What problems are you having? I would prefer that you learn how to make the scores yourself as I am creating other material for my blog. I am here to help if needed.

      Delete
    2. I tried to upload the file of "the most fragile star in the universe" by Ultimo on the site https://musicboxmaniacs.com but it gives me an error. You would be very kind to help me.

      Delete
    3. Are you able to see and listen to the file on the music box maniacs website before you upload it to the Silhouette software?

      I see a few Ultimo songs...which song are you trying to upload?

      What is the error message that you are getting?

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. No, it detects the error when loading the file .. I am looking for "the most fragile star in the universe" .. the error message says unknown: 75

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to upload the song. I do not know why you got the error message. Please check back tomorrow as I will upload my version of the song.

      Delete
  6. the song I'm looking for is "la stella più fragile dell'universo" not "piccola stella", it's the first one that gives me an error

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sorry, I don’t think I can help you as I can not find the music on the music box maniacs website.

      Delete
  7. hello! i’m trying to do a 15 note music box with the song Easy by the Commodores but i can’t find a template. Do you think you could please help a girl out?! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I can’t help. I can only create the music box strips when there is a template.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your great ideas and work. And although thank you very much for sharing with us! Nicole from Germany

    ReplyDelete