Monday, October 25, 2021

Making Sewing Cards For a Preschool Child Using the Silhouette Software

I have a three year old granddaughter and I want to teach her how to sew. These sewing cards are an excellent way to teach this skill. 

My granddaughter was able to do the above circle and square designs.  The star design required her to stitch over the previous stitches which was too confusing.  I am sure with time, she will be able to manage this task.

I purchased a plastic needle to teach my granddaughter how to make a knot and the art of sewing with the repetitive motion of pulling yarn up through a hole until the yarn is taut and then down into the next hole until the yarn is taut again.  I used 65 lb. metallic foil cardstock for the sewing cards and craft yarn from Michaels.

Here is the PDF.

Here is the .Studio file.

Here is the SVG.

It is very easy to make sewing cards with the Silhouette Designer software (not on the basic software).  

Take any image that is about four inches by four inches and do an internal offset of .4 inches. This photo shows the offset window before the .4 inch offset was applied.

Highlight this offset and using the Rhinestone feature, apply the following two settings, rhinestone size 13 and spacing is .625 inches. This creates circles
which are aligned evenly around the image.

I recommend having the child start with the circle design. It has an even number of holes and the knots will remain in the back of the design.  The number of holes on the square is also an even number so it sews nicely.  The star does not have an even number.  I recommend teaching them to continue to sew around the edge another time.  This creates a solid line of yarn and the knot will be on the backside of the star.

I also made a Halloween pumpkin sewing card with a stem and face that are glued on. This design is an advanced design with an odd number of holes.

 My granddaughter liked watching me stitch the pumpkin and she did like gluing on the stem and face.  It's ok for them to tire and for you to complete the design. She enjoyed seeing how it was created.  

No comments:

Post a Comment