Tuesday, February 14, 2023

A STEM Project: Making a Variable Sized Heart Box Using TurtleStitch

Variable Sized Heart Box 

In this blog posting, I will explain how to make a variable size heart box using TurtleStitch to generate the components of a heart box and to cut them out with the Silhouette or another electronic cutting machine. 

NOTE: For my Silhouette friends, I have included a file for the regular size heart box, with a scale of 1, at the end of this posting.

How to Make a Heart Box in TurtleStitch

The first thing that you need to understand is how a heart shape is created.

Since the heart shape is made up of a square whose side is the same size as the circle's diameter.  It is easy to navigate the turtle around the perimeter of the heart. 



I started at the  bottom point of the heart and 'Turn'ed the turtle 45 degrees to 'Move' the side length of the square. An 'Arcleft' block was used to create the semicircle. (The value of the radius is half the length of the side of the square).  Next, the turtle was pointed in the -45 degree direction.   'Arcleft' and 'Move' blocks are used to complete the simple heart. 



The next thing that I needed to do was to make the sides of the heart box.  That is simple because I know the length of the side of the box and the circumference of the semicircle. Using these calculations, I can make a strip for the side of the box. 

To make the tabs necessary for the strip, I modified an Edgefold block and made them with variable size teeth.  Here is the program that I made to perform this task. https://www.turtlestitch.org/run#cloud:Username=Elaine&ProjectName=Edgefold%20Width%20With%20Multiple%20Teeth

I incorporated this program into the simple heart program to produce the heart box sides.

Here is my Simple Heart Box program with two hearts and sides for the top and bottom to make the top and bottom of the box.

I should note that I have also included a scalloped heart in my design.  The reason for this scalloped heart is, there is a gap at the point where the heart meets at the top when it is glued.  It doesn't happen all of the time, but most of the time and it is frustrating to see the pinhole gap. To remediate this problem, I use the scalloped heart to hide the gap. 

Run the Heart Box Program in TurtleStitch

In my TurtleStitch program, update the 'Set Scaling Factor' to your desired scaling parameter, run the program and export as a DXF file.

Directions to Cut the Heart Box in Silhouette Using the TurtleStich DXF file

The DXF file that was created in TurtleStitch is opened in the Silhouette software. The size of the one inch cube is observed. The size of the entire file needs to be resized as the size is not preserved from one application to the other.  Divide 1 by the size of the observed one inch square and then multiply by 100. Transform the entire file with the calculated percentage amount.  Check the one inch square to see if it is now one inch.  (The one inch square is no longer needed, and can be deleted.)

Cut two of each heart and side pieces. Cut two of each scalloped heart. 

Please note: The larger heart and the shorter side strip is used to make the top of the box.  The smaller heart and taller side strip is used to make the bottom of the box.

Directions to Assemble the Heart Box 

Bend and apply glue to the tabs

Glue the opposite side together to form a loop. The tab is glued inward.

Bend the tabs and apply glue to each of the tabs.

Insert the bottom point of the appropriate heart first (see note above for correct heart/side strip placements) and then adhere the sides the heart.

Align the side seam to the point in the top of the heart.
Turn the piece over and make sure all of the tabs are adhered correctly. 
Repeat the above instructions for the other side of the box. 

Glue and adhere all of the remaining parts together.  I decided to use the bottom heart for the scallop that is placed on the top of the box because the scallops will show a little more.  It is a matter of preference but I thought I should mention what I did.

I made three boxes in different sizes by scaling.   In the photo, the largest box's scaling factor is 1.25, the medium box is 1 and the smallest box is .75.   (I ran the TurtleStitch program for each of the different size boxes and exported them to be cut with the Silhouette program.)

Embellish the box as desired. I added the word 'Love' to my box. 


Here is the PDF of the regular size box with a scaling factor of 1. I used 65 lb cardstock from Michaels.

Here is the .Studio file of the regular size box.

Here is the SVG of the regular size box.

I have included the word 'Love' and a rose in my files as optional embellishments.



No comments:

Post a Comment