Monday, June 27, 2022

A STEM Project: Three Cube Sliceforms Imbedded with a Diamond, a Sphere, and a Sphere/Diamond Combo

Three Cube Sliceforms Imbedded with a Diamond, a Sphere, and a Sphere/Diamond Sliceform Combo

Sliceforms are visually pleasing structures and paper is one of the only ways to create them and that is why I love them so much. Paper needs to be carefully bent to slide each slice into place and rigid materials such as wood or a hard plastic will not suffice.  The resulting figure is a design which can lay flat.
 
In this blog posting, I have created three different cube sliceforms.  In order to make each sliceform, start with sliding the two center slices together.  Proceed with sliding the imbedded sliceform together. Finish with the outer cube slices.

A Cube Sliceform Imbedded with a Diamond Sliceform

A Cube Sliceform Imbedded with a Sphere Sliceform

A Cube Sliceform Imbedded with a Sphere Sliceform Imbedded with a Diamond Sliceform




2 comments:

  1. Greetings! I recently got into sliceform papercrafts and came across your blog! I would love to design my own models someday.

    May I ask what software are you using to design the piece and do you do any simulations before printing?

    I do not own any cutting plotter (Cricut, Silhouette) at the moment so I have to cut them out by hand,

    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make graphs of the object that I want to make using a graphing calculator and I then copy that design into the Silhouette software. I divide that figure into slices. I explain how I made a sphere in this blog posting. https://papercraftetc.blogspot.com/2019/04/maker-faire-at-pennington-school.html

      Delete